View Single Post
Old 07-16-2011, 06:46 AM   #8
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by megansmomma View Post
I understand where you are coming from regarding the high reward treats for recall training or even command training but I am always very careful what to suggest to use as a reward for training. The reason behind my saying no hot dogs is that YT has such a huge "audience" which makes me worry about the filter that some lurkers/reader have in place. When you say hot dog for training some will latch on to that idea and then give it for all training. So I always try to shy away from rewards that might be not so good in the long run. The other thing that people seems to have a tendency to do it to offer rewards that are larger than a bite. If it takes more than ONE BITE to eat the reward it's too large. So for a tiny yorkie puppy the reward need to be very tiny.

My suggestion would about this size or very slightly larger.

O
You are so right about the occasional reader but when addressing name ignore for a Yorkie sized dog, as I was specifically, I would have to give my best advice for her particular problem and not that other reader as a dog's life could one day be at stake if ignoring its name. And my advice is simply that of a former rescue worker/rescue home and lifelong doglover/trainer(not professional).

I hope our occasional readers will follow your advice and use only the most nutritious treats for our babies as we don't want them filled up with gunk in those precious Yorkie bellies when they could have lots of vitamins and minerals and even some good fiber working to help health and training at the same time! You, as always, have our babies' best interests at heart, Megansmomma!!! As one who does all that you do with rescue and saving dog's lives and futures, when you post, we all listen and take much heed. I will always bow to your expertise in anything, girl. <3
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!