Thread: Spay questions
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2011, 03:32 PM   #6
MaddiesMommie
LoveMy2
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwebkat View Post
My Tera will be 6 months old Monday. I have scheduled her to be spayed on Friday. I am a little worried, but I know this is a routine procedure. I trust that my vet will do a good job, yet I am still apprehensive. She is just so little.

How long does it take for them to bounce back after a spay. Speaking of bouncing, do you need to keep them from running around after the spay? If so, how long?

My vet will do procedure Friday morning, but wants to keep her overnight. Is this routine?

Sorry for so many questions. I probably shouldn't be worried at all. She just seems so little.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom and advice in this matter.
I think "boucing back" varies from dog to dog. Maddie (3 at the time) and Cooper (1 @ the time) were spayed on the same day and Cooper acted like nothing had happened by that evening. Maddie took a few days to return to her self. Your vet should go over with you post-op directions for her activity. I was told to keep my girls calm and contained as much as possible. I had to crate Cooper b/c she was way to active while Maddie just wanted to lay around anyway.

My vet does not keep them over night because no one is there to watch them. I would not feel comfortable leaving them with no one to watch over them. This is a pretty standard procedure and with pain medication I feel that they are okay to come home where they can rest and feel more relaxed.

I have heard of vets keeping them overnight and think this is okay if there is someone there to watch them and the owner is not able to take care of them after the surgery.

Just make sure your vet is doing pre-op blood work proir to the surgery and your little girl will be sent home with pain meds to help manage the pain after the surgery. She will be fine.

Last edited by MaddiesMommie; 07-13-2011 at 03:33 PM.
MaddiesMommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!