View Single Post
Old 07-13-2011, 10:15 AM   #1
Bentleys Momma
YT 500 Club Member

Cry Pringles (July 12, 1998 - July 12, 2011)

Pring,
When we moved here in ‘98, as you know Cory was distraught from having to leave his friends in Ohio. With moving to the country, and it being summer break, he didn’t have an opportunity to make friends right away. For his 9th birthday we drove into town in hopes of finding something fun to do on that “Texas hot” July day. Lo and behold “puppies for sale” and I thought stopping and looking at some cute kissable puppies would help cheer up my son! Little did I know how it would change our lives forever.

You had the worst foot infection that was not being tended to adequately. Smaller than the other lab/shepherd mix puppies, and with your hurt paw, you were being trampled on a bit too. After a serious family discussion, none of us wanted to leave you there but financially we couldn’t buy you and pay for the much needed veterinary care you were going to require. After haggling with the people there, and me finally threatening to call about them not caring for you properly, we left that parking lot with a new member of the family. Daddy said you were the most expensive “free puppy” anyone would ever own! J

You and Cory became the best of friends that summer trampling through the woods having adventures while mommy and daddy worked hard after work and on weekends clearing our land to turn our new house into a home. It amazed me how one minute you were rough housing with your boy and the next you would walk so carefully around your toddling little girl so as to not knock her over. The kids would use you as a pillow while they lie on the floor watching television. You played barbies and had a tea party or two and you were always the dutiful guard dog ensuring nothing entered the yard while Cory would shoot hoops for hours.

You were the co-captain for the 4x/week 2-1/2 hr round trips into town so mommy and daddy could to do the required “kids handoff” on in between mommy & daddy work schedules. And then eventually things changed again and you were assigned afterschool babysitter duties as the kids were to do their homework until I got home from work with the new baby.

I always knew that you were a very good dog and that Cory had trained you so well especially for a young boy to have that responsibility. But I realized to what extent you were an exceptional dog on the day when the family was putting up a shed and you were “hanging out with the fam as always” when I deer came running through our yard. You shot up and were in hot pursuit immediately! I panicked!!! Yelled as loud as I could “Pringles come!” and I watched you in the distance come to a halt. You didn’t immediately turn back and I could see your loyalty being torn apart for a moment. So I yelled again “Pringles come!” Only an extraordinary dog like yourself would have had your reaction. You turned around and came running back into our yard and never looked back again for that doe.

During all those faithful years, we struggled with your skin disorder trying to find a reason for it and always trying desperately to make you as comfortable as possible. When all else failed, we met Grandma and Grandpa half way in Tennessee so you could stay with them to see if we could better pinpoint whatever it was that was causing your allergic reactions. Watching you pull away in the back of their pickup truck while we both entered the same freeway only with us going south back to Texas and them driving north to Ohio was one of the worst days of my life.

You were able to stay in Ohio and, as long as you were not out in freshly cut grass, your skin flare-ups were few and far between. It became obvious quite quickly that Ohio was a better living environment for you and Grandma and Grandpa were thrilled that you were going to stay with them. You took to their pampering and ate it up like candy! We loved getting our “letters from Pringles” and enjoyed all of our visits although we wish there had been more of them!

We saw you this past February when we came up to Ohio unexpectedly for a funeral. We already knew you were having some health problems and you were looking so very tired sweetheart. That didn’t make the call yesterday any easier. I am so sorry you fell little girl. I hope you were not in pain too long.

I will be calling your boy later today as he was with friends for his birthday yesterday and is on duty this morning. I don’t want him to hear about your passing while he is with his Marine buddies as I know this is going to break his heart! I cannot believe we had you exactly 13 years to the very day. None of us are doing too well with losing you and Grandpa is a complete mess. I can only pray that you knew how totally and completely we all loved you during our short time together on this earth.

Until we meet again…
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!