View Single Post
Old 07-12-2011, 12:05 PM   #15
mscat
YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellababy08 View Post
I was having this same problem with my Harley a few months ago....He is 10 mos old now...At 16 weeks on his last set of shots he weghed 4.2 lbs...when I took him back to be neutered/baby teeth removed/chipped at 28 weeks (7mos) he still only weighed 4.2 lbs...he didn't lose but he didn't gain at all those 3 mos...I was worried...his blood panel came back normal, healthy pup...he seemed fine very playful and full of energy...when I took him back 3 weeks later to make sure he was healing good....he still had not gained still 4.2...Vet got a little worried than...and told me...we should feel ribs and spine but not see them but on a Yorkie cause of there coats its hard to see...so we took Harley to the back and wet him down so we could see if we could see ribs and spine...well we could see them, especially his hip bones...we ruled out any medical reason...Harley is a picky eater but full of energy...so what was happening was Harley would eat a little but than burned more energy than what he was eating so that was keeping him at 4.2 lbs...if that make sense lol. I free feed and I also cook their dinner...Harley would take a few bits and walk away I just thought OK he is full from eating on his kibble all day...so once I knew he was under weight, I started putting Harley in my lap and I hand fed him every bit and he ate it all this way...he is now 10 mos old at 4.7 lbs...he has gained 5 oz I can really see & feel the difference that 5 oz has made...I can nolonger see his ribs,spine and hip bones...I can feel them but I can't see them when I bath him.

So if the your Vet rules out any medical reason...It might just take a little TLC...making sure he is eating what he needs to gain and than maintain...I let Harley pick at his kibble (wellness super5mix puppy) as alway through out the day but at dinner time when I cook for them I make sure he eats ALL his dinner...I feed boiled chicken breast with a veggie for my girls...for Harley I feed the same but I will add sweet potato or cottage cheese and every other day instead of boiled chicken I give him boiled chicken liver very high in protein...its working for us...its not upsitting his tummy, his BM's are very firm...also when I'm training, the girls get 1 treat...when Harley does his tricks I sneak him 2 treats...LOL I can't let the girls see that he is getting more LOL...I know 5 oz doesn't sound like a lot of weight gained in 8 weeks but for Harley it is...hes just a little man compared to my girls...Bella is 9.9 lbs, 3 yrs old and Ivy Lou is the same age as Harley 10 mos and she is a 5.9 lbs, the girl pick at the kibble all day but at treat and dinner time those girls wolf down their food ...lol..but anyhow I will pray there is nothing medically wrong with your baby...good luck.
I honestly think that this is very simalar what is going on with Suzi . i like the boiled liver idea.
I do feed feed them the wellness super 5 kibble too, Suzi is doing the same thing, just picking at her food. But, if I give her something else she eats like she is starving.
I will need to wet her down so I can tell more if she is too thin.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!