View Single Post
Old 07-11-2011, 05:00 PM   #4
RoxyLuv
Donating YT 500 Club Member

I found Roxy's puppy days to be exhausting! However, with consistancy, she has turned into a fine, well-behaved lady. We put a baby gate at the hallway so she only had access to living, dining, kitchen areas. The gate remained for many months, although longer than necessary. I used Bitter Yuck on cords, any furniture she started to chew on, etc. Lots of squeaky toys were used to divert her attention from things she shouldn't do. She will learn things quite quickly in the next few months, so it's important to remain consistant. She may even able to learn sit, down, fetch, and a few other simple commands followed by a tiny yummy treat and/or praise. Start saying 'ah ah' to change behavior you don't like. One Roxy has learned very well, is 'leave it' for anything he's about to do that's not acceptable. You will repeat these over and over and over, but he will learn and you won't need to say it often at all. The chewing is absolutely normal for awhile as he is teething for his permanent teeth. That should be complete by around 6 mo, so make sure he has lots of chew toys. They have very short attention spans at this age and will quickly get bored with a toy.

About the time, she was about 6 mo I noticed I wasn't working near as hard and could relax and enjoy her more. Not all yorkies are the same and what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another, so keep an open mind. Patience & consistancy are very important. Good luck with your new baby!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!