Thread: chicken wings?
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2011, 07:07 AM   #18
BLowry
My furkids
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britster View Post
First, let me state that I'm not really "for" or "against" raw feeding. I feed the pre-made stuff on occasion but am not totally sure how I feel about feeding it. My dog does really fantastic on high quality kibble, and I did not see a major difference with the pre-made raw (Primal, etc). So just wanted to put my opinion, or lack thereof, on raw first so you know I'm not a "biased raw feeder".

Second, you asked why is it good for our dogs but not humans? Because we have totally completely different digestive tracts. Dogs process food entirely different than us. Biologically, they are actually 99.8% the same as wolves on the inside and the way their body is made up. (I'm NOT saying our domesticated dogs ARE wolves, just that their digestive tract is like one).

Dogs have pretty tough immune systems (unless it's compromised for another health reason) and usually are unaffected by salmonella. That's not to say they CAN'T be infected by it (they also have a chance of being infected by it through kibble). They also digest their food quicker than us without allowing bacteria to settle.

So basically, yes a dog CAN get salmonella, but not as easily as a human and as long as the raw meat you are feeding them is fresh and new, there shouldn't be a problem.
I have a good friend that feeds raw....and like I said..that's ok...just doesn't sound good to me! although I do eat sushi! LOL
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!