Thread: chicken wings?
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2011, 06:30 AM   #13
tem_sat
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
My little yorkie accidentally got a chicken bone and it lodged in her throat. The vet didn't see it on xray so she went another day with it in her throat. I had to take her to an emergency vet and she had to be scoped- but the only way they could remove it was to push it down into her stomach and then retrive it. I never give mine any kind of bones.
That is unfortunate, however, from your description it sounds like that bone was very small. What one must realize is, any COOKED bone is not to be fed. Secondly, bone-in meats are to be size-appropriate and given "as is", i.e. don't strip the meat off the bone and give the bone to the dog.

An example of an inappropriately sized bone-in meal would be feeding a chicken neck to a dog the size of my Doxie. To me, that is just too much of a choking risk. On the other hand, a chicken wing which has not been cut into pieces is fine. Always try to give your dog bone-in meats on the larger end of the size spectrum.

The actual risk of boneless meats creating a choking hazard, to me, is much more substantial. When feeding boneless, I will always dice meats to avoid any problems.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!