View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
Gracie2006
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Default Did I get ripped off?

I just took my two yorkie girls in for their first dental cleanings. The first requirement was an annual exam, about $55 each plus vaccines for Gracie. My vet won't give vaccines or do dental cleanings unless the dogs are up to date on their annual exams. I understand the need for a pre-op exam to make sure anesthesia is safe. Today's dental visit bill was just over $800 for both girls. Both had general anesthesia with pre-op labs. They drew Holly's blood even after I told them she just had complete blood work done on May 1 and they had the results in her chart. Holly had a routine cleaning for nearly $300.00. Gracie had dental x-rays, cleaning, and two loose teeth extracted. They sent her home with some anti-inflammatory pain medications. At discharge the tech presented me with "before and after photos" and photocopies of the x-rays. I expressed my displeasure at the exorbitant price. When I mentioned the walk-in clinic charged $150 for routine cleanings, the tech launched into a spiel about how the walk-in clinic does not use anesthesia or monitoring. They just paralyze the animals and do the cleanings and extractions allowing the animals to feel pain. What is your experience with fees for dental cleanings and extractions? Should I call around in search of another vet?
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!