View Single Post
Old 07-05-2011, 09:42 AM   #7
gidget529
Gidget & Sidney's Mom
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDB View Post
Thanks! I do make sure he has lots to chew on in the crate, and it's in the living room, or I will move it to whatever room we're in. I also make sure that if I want to take him out and he's whining, I sit on the couch beside the crate and don't make eye contact or speak until he stops. Once he does stop I take him out. Also, when I put him in I give him treats and there's a place you can open the top and pet him, which I do. I also try to make him go for a good walk/run and have some play time before he goes in.

I will definitely look up the fake litter mate. I think the problem is that when we first brought him home we tried putting him in a bathroom overnight, on a floor all by himself, in a room that was pitch black. In retrospect, this was a bad way to start off "alone time". Now I think he's getting some separation anxiety.

Today I tried putting one of my shirts in his crate. We'll see how that goes. I also might try a kong, where he has to try to get something inside it. Maybe that will keep him busy and distracted until he goes to sleep.
Kong is also a great idea! Forgot to mention, but I do use Kongs and they love them!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!