View Single Post
Old 07-04-2011, 03:07 AM   #7
DvlshAngel985
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

I think another thing we as owners do is give them too mush space too soon. When they have free roam of the house without them beig trained is setting our pups up for failure. You have to start in a small space. Personally, I'm not crazy about crates, in fact you won't find one in my house. I used an expen like Gidget said. He was older, but the method was he same. He had everything in there he needed. When I could trust him to not mess his expen, and I mean be 100% confident he wouldn't mess his expen (in your case it would be no mess other than on the piddle pads) he earned the right to roam my room. When he was trustworthy there, he was allowed to come downstairs. Where we use to live, he never got of be trustworthy downstairs, by we were only there a few months. When we moved, I started all over again. Expen, living room only, living room with kitchen, then the entire apartment. He goes where he pleases but earned that right when he proved to me he could successfully walk over to his pad instead of eliminating everywhere.

Start with a small place and let her earn her way to free roam your house, or, being out of her crate/expen while your busy. You can take her out to play or explore, but you have to be with her the entire time, watching closely, to correct any mistakes. A schedule is also very beneficial. After a while, potty time becomes predictable. As they gain the ability to hold it, they will go inside less and wait for you to take then out. It sounds slow, but in the long run, I think this is a solid way of teaching them.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!