View Single Post
Old 07-03-2011, 04:22 PM   #5
DJDB
YT Addict

I think they can hold it for a long time. Our 3 month old Ozzy sleeps with us all night in our bed (at least 8 hrs). He sleeps all night, never makes a peep or needs to go outside.

We're using the 7 day training schedule as closely as possible, but we try not to crate Ozzy during the day if we're home, exept a couple hours if we need a break. However, we do watch him ALL the time if he's not in the crate. He does not go anywhere in the house alone. EVER. We take him outside as soon as we get out of bed, about a half hour after he eats, anytime he's taken out of his crate, and right before bed. So far, it's been 3 days and we've had no accidents in the house - he's already getting it enough that we usually only have to be outside for a few minutes. We leave his water out all day, but his food is only put out for half an hour, two times a day.

He was paper trained by the breeder.

Maybe we're just really lucky, but I think the 7 day training schedule works, and it's adjustable to most peoples' schedules.

One thing our vet suggested, which I agree with, is that potty time outside should not be play time. No toys, no play. You stay in one area until the dog pees or poos, then treat, praise, and straight inside. If you want to play outside, then do it 15 mins after potty time.
DJDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!