View Single Post
Old 07-03-2011, 01:27 PM   #11
Yorkiedaze
My hairy-legged girls
Donating Member

Hydromet syrup (hydrocodone/homatropine) consists of two elements : one is the narcotic part hydrocodone.
The second is homatropine which is an anticholinergic (it is an agent which blocks the neurotransmitters acetylcholine in the central and peripheral nervous systems)

If you are just getting hydrocodone (small bottle sort of a brownish liquid, very small amounts given) that is the pure narcotic.
If you get the hydromet or hycodan syrup which is a bright red, sweet tasting syrup (much like everyday cough syrup) that is the combination of the two elements the narcotic plus the cough suppressant.

As far as price goes I have never gotten just the hydrocodone. It is much more expensive than the hydromet syrup. I will email someone I know and ask her how much she pays for hers. I know she has gotten it twice from her vet and one time is was just 2 ml. and the next it was 5 ml.
The hydromet syrup will be probably 4 oz or more and the generic should read hyrocodone/homatropine syrup (1/0.3mg).

Also there are tablet which are the pill form of the hydromet syrup, they are called Tussigon 5mg.
You would use either the syrup or the tablets not both at the same time.

I started out with the hydromet cough syrup, I liked that you can control the dosages a little more than the tablets. If Zada has something similar to what Nikki has (CT plus a secondary lung disease similar to COPD) She has also been prescribed Theo-dur and takes it daily.
Also we have prednisolone and an antibiotic here at the house to use if her lung disease starts up where she is coughing more, rattlely sounding.

So here is Nikki's meds.
1/4 tablet of Theo-dur 2 X's a day

1/4 tablet of Clariton 1 x daily

.75-1cc hydromet syrup (red stuff) as needed (can give up to 2 cc's at a time if coughing will not stop, not to exceed 6 cc's in a 24hr. period) She gets this everyday if she coughs.

1/2 prednisolone as needed if coughing is really bad and she has had a rough time to reduce swelling and aggravation of trachea.
1/4 tablet of doxycycline (antibiotic) when COPD is acting up

We give Nikki the tussigon tablets now instead of the hyrdomet syrup since her COPD has been acting up. That is 1/4 - 1/2 tablet as needed. Right now I give her 1/2 tablet at night, and in the morning if she is coughing I will give 1/4 - 1/2 tablet.

We try to keep the humidity in the house between 50-55% if she is having problems, keep weight off, limit excitement, cut excess hair off especially on the underbelly, chest areas, take away toys. She will get excited when I first come in the house and cough so I pick her up right away and walk around with her when I do this many times the coughing will only be two or three coughs and she will stop.
I would also have acepromazine on hand just in case things get bad. I would also ask my DR. for the written RX for the hydromet and or tussigon and call the drug stores. The tussigon tablets they may have to order, my Costco has them on hand, Walgreen's had to order them but it took one day. The hydromet cough syrup is a human medication so it should be carried at most pharmacy's. If they do not have it directly on hand they should be able to order it and you should get it within a few days at the most. I would call around I am sure there has to be a pharmacy somewhere that carries it. It is a very common human medication.
I hope this helps if you have any questions or do not completely understand it all just ask me
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!