View Single Post
Old 07-02-2011, 09:54 PM   #42
capt_noonie
www.yorkierescue.com
Donating Member

Who here is obsessed with olives?

For me it started with me eating pizza as a kid. For some reason I always loved salty and/or sour. I love olives and pickles. It used to be just regular old black olives you get on your run of the mill Pizza Hut pizza. Most kids hate it. I get it has a metallic taste. I like it. Then I found kalamatas in middle school. OMG even more salty and briney, LOVE! Then green martini olives with pimentos, I would eat them out of the jar. I don't know why I haven't shriveled up from all the sodium. (Maybe that's why I drink so much water ) Then this middle eastern market opened up with a deli section with like 6 or 7 types of olives! OMG puts Whole Foods to shame!

Oh yeah that reminds me, Whole Foods has a salt bar! Pink salt, black salt! Fine ground, Coarse! Himalayan! omfg!

Anyway, for pickles I really love my "bf" Alton Brown's recipe for home made pickles. When I made these, my real bf tasted them and he said he felt like Emile from Ratatoulle when he tasted the two ingredients (cheese and tomato?? I don't remember) together and to take in all the tastes in the senses. He said he tasted sour first, then salty, then sweet, then peppery, lol. It's a super easy recipe, and the brine can be reused a few times (at least I did and everything was fine).

Kinda Sorta Sours Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network
I don't use champagne vinegar bc it's just too expensive, I just left it out. This is a bit sweet, and as a person who hates sweet pickles, I cut the sugar amt in half and now I think it's perfect. The garlic turns blue for some reason. Does anyone know why? I've only made these with persian cukes, have not tries them with hothouse our english ones. Persian cucumbers are NEVER bitter, so those are the only kind I buy now.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!