Thread: Adopting?
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2011, 09:36 AM   #11
addevo
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Thank you for at least considering an older dog with a known health problem. We adopted an 8 year old retired puppy mill breeding dog, who was blind in one eye, had chronic pancreatitus, protein losing enteropathy and circled all the time due to having spent her life in a small crate. Needless to say, she changed our lives immeasurably -- for the better. Tina taught me that compassion does not go unrewarded. She repaid us generously with her kisses, loyalty and affection.

Having said that, ask yourself what is the reason for your hesitation. If you are worried that the eye problem will be expensive, consider what you will be spending on a new puppy.

First are the known expenses, the purchase price of the puppy. Next are the vet bills: Puppies need a series of vaccinations, so you'll be paying for at least 2 office visits, plus the price of the shots. And once those are done it will be time for spay/neutering.

Next is what it will cost you to get through the teething phase. You'll be buying chew toys and/or replacing shoes/eyeglasses/dresser knobs and whatever else they get ahold of while they are teething. Even tiny baby teeth can be destructive (just ask my new reading glasses that a foster puppy "customized.") Also, won't be able to resist buying them clothes, beds, etc that they will quickly outgrow.

Also, think of what you'll spend to get through the housebreaking phase. (Now this might be an expense with the rescue dog, too, depending if he's trained yet or not.) But you'll need a crate, piddle pads, enzyme cleaner, (lots of that) renting and/or buying a steam cleaner, spray deterrents, (which don't work but you'll be desperate enough to try them anyway) books, classes and whatever other means you turn to for help.

If your hesitation is because he's older and you are afraid you won't have him very long, again I speak from experience. We had Tina for 6 years. I would love to have had more time with her, but 6 years was a good run, and I wouldn't trade our time with her for anything in the world.

Also, consider the fact that puppies and young dogs get sick. They can come down with serious, sometimes fatal diseases. So getting a puppy does not guarantee that you won't have big vet bills, or that you will grow old together. Spend a little time on the YT Forum that is devoted to pet illness and emergencies and you'll see what I mean.

But the important thing is to follow your heart. Getting a dog that you don't feel a bond with doesn't do either of you any good. If you decide to buy a puppy, please read through the information on this site about how to select a breeder. You don't want to reward a bad breeder with your hard earned dollars. And to offset the guilt you may feel over leaving the older dog in the rescue - give them a donation to help cover their expenses while they continue to take care of him as he waits for a forever home.
addevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!