View Single Post
Old 06-29-2011, 08:25 AM   #1
zowiandnikasmom
YT 500 Club Member

Default Zowi Atypical Cushing's update / treatment plan

here's a link to my previous thread on zowi:
http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/sic...ease-help.html

thank you all for your support and well wishes, and for sharing your stories. zowi and i appreciate it so much!

this afternoon i will be taking princess zowi back to her dogtor for a melatonin implant injection to treat her high levels of estradiol. she will also be starting flax hull hmr lignans 10mg per day in combination with the implant and continuing the denamarin for liver support per recommendations from the university of tennessee. the implant will last 3 months and she will go back for another acth test then to recheck everything. this time, they will not be using a synthetic hormone to do the test, they will be using an actual non - synthetic hormone to see if there is any difference in the cortisol reaction because some dogs don't react for the synthetic types. dr said it will have to be ordered for her as it is not something that is kept on hand. the melatonin implant should show some clinical improvements after 3 months time, and if not, we will move on to a different course of treatment. keeping her on denamarin will protect her liver just in case her cortisol is actually high, even though it was normal for the first acth. so that's the game plan for now...

i am finally feeling a little positive and i do have some peace of mind now that her acth results are complete and we have a treatment plan. i am hoping that zowi's symptoms will gradually begin to go away or at least lessen greatly. it feels much better now that i can actually do something for her. the waiting has been sooooo hard, it has been a loooong couple of weeks! i've been giving zowi ice cubes to keep her cool and her very own little fan on the office floor that she loves to lay in front of, resting on the cool floor. that does seem to help her with her "hot flashes." poor baby. i am very hopeful we can get her all better very soon.

please continue to keep my baby zowi in your thoughts and prayers, i will keep everyone updated. thank you so much. ((hugs)) to you all!

deepest sympathies to dr. john oliver's family, friends, and university of tennessee colleagues. his dedication to endocrinology will always be remembered and appreciated greatly! it has helped so many pets like my zowi and will continue to. many, many thanks.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!