View Single Post
Old 01-03-2006, 11:01 AM   #1
AIM
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Desperately seeking advice regarding kids and yorkies

We adopted Lucky just before her second birthday and she will be three soon. We know that her former home had older children and the Humane Society thought that based on the temperament testing they did, she should be fine with all children; however, on New Year's day, we went to my parents' home and had several people over, including small children. The kids were running around together and Lucky charged them, barked, and even growled, much like she does with other dogs. She is an extra large yorkie (10 lbs!) and could harm a child, so I quickly snatched her up and restrained her out of fear that she would bite one of them. Why did she do this? Did her prey drive kick in? More importantly, can I stop this behavior or will I always have to separate her from young children when they are playing excitedly? This could be a problem since I plan to have children over the next few years. I should note that she did not seem to have any problems with the children until they were running around.
AIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!