Thread: So frustrated
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2011, 10:30 AM   #13
McheleM
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjane View Post
I don't know...they did save his life. Parvo is nothing to mess with and without proper care he would be have died imo.

I just think there might be another concern and I would certainly be asking the vet for details. Ask him if he would worry if he knew for a fact the pup was eating as often as needed.
Oh don't get me wrong-I am 100% grateful that they did in fact save his life. 2 of the vets in the practice admitted to me that Monday and Tuesday they were really unsure if he was going to pull through and if we should have the "better to putnhim down then let him suffer" talk.

I did talk to the vet before bringing him home and she said they want him to eat every 3-4 hours, even if it's just a few bites. When I asked about him going so long without eating and it affecting his blood sugar, she replied " yes, puppies are just like humans and if they go too long without eating, their levels will drop and that is our concern with him". I then expressed my concern that the staff couldn't hand feed him, wouldn't it be better if I came to the hospital to do that and she said "that's why we're letting him go home. He needs individualized care that we aren't able to provide (IE hand feeding) and we feel he would benefit from going home where he can receive that care".

So as long as he's eating every 3-4 hours during the day and once in the middle of the night, she's confident he"Ll be okay. Of course, I have the signs to look for and when to bring him back list if needed, which hopefully won't be needed.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!