Thread: Allergies?
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2011, 12:21 PM   #1
Magnus
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Default Allergies?

I think Magnus has allergies. He's been scratching/rubbing his muzzle a lot more than usual. Seems to be worse after he's been outside. Sometimes to a point where he would whine while he's scratching.

Searching through bunch of forums/posts, I decided to give him children's benadryl twice a day. I've tried two different brands and neither seem to work. (Tried childrend's claritin and Target's brand which the pharmacist told me is equivalent to Benadryl's formula.) Thought maybe it was the food as I've changed it to Fromm so went back to Wellness but that didn't seem to help either.

I just came back from the vet. She examined him and saw nothing visible like rashes or bite marks, etc.. Gave me few options and I ended up coming back with "Hydroxyzine". She said lets try this for a week and see how he does. If it doesn't work, she'll prescribe something else and I think that had steroids? (She thought maybe we should try that since neither the claritin nor benadryl worked. I said no as I didn't want to give him anything stronger than necessary.)

Now.. I'm wondering if I should try giving him children's allegra first. Knowing this stuff is new on the shelf (as it was available by prescription only), I was wondering if anyone tried it on their furbabies? Should I not bother with it and just go with the Hydroxyzine? I'd appreciate any suggestions/advice. It's so sad watching him scratch so much...
Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!