View Single Post
Old 01-03-2006, 08:22 AM   #2
Wrenee4
YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkieRini
I wanted to post this in hopes of putting out 'the word' on how long a bitch in whelp should go before calling the vet. That IMO is so important. I'd like to share my protocol which may be different from others. I am sharing mine because I have not lost a bitch in whelp or a puppy to date.

I do NOT let me girls have hard labor for more than 45 min. If nothing is happening at the 45 min mark, I call my vet, make arrangements to meet at the clinic (can take them about a half hour) they meet me there. And assist or section whatever is neccessary. By the time pups are here mom's been in labor for about 2 hrs max. Which is plenty for a Toy breed.

I'd be interested in others protocol.
Same for us..the vet states to get ready to go if 1/2 hour of hard labor and no pup. If labor has started and a pup has been born as long as Mom is not pushing (ie sleeping/licking puppies) and I KNOW there are more puppies waiting the vet states to wait 4 hours tops for the next puppy to arrive...unless of course she is in hard labor then the 1/2 hour. We are about 10 min from the vet so yeah we wait really close to the 45 min range!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!