View Single Post
Old 06-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #7
GoofyBritt
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
If you pay the pup's bills and are 18 or older, just tell her to stop. If you are still young and/or don't pay his bills, my guess is it's your mom's choice.

You are right. He is not getting the right nutrients this way. You can get a diet recipe that would be acceptable, but you'd still be doing the work. An unbalanced diet over an extended period can lead to very serious health issues.

Since hs is getting table scraps, the tough love approach isn't going to work. If you can get her to stop feeding table food, then you put the kibble down and he'll eat when he knows he's not going to get anything better. No treat or bones during this time.

Please make sure to pick up those bowls that the canned food was in before he can get to it when it's old and dried out. It could be spoiled by that time and cause some major issues.
I am 27 living at home and have no income due to disability. My parents pay the bills for the dog. Bentley just isn't interested in teh kibble. He did eat about 8 grams of kibble (I'm now weighing his food night and around noon) yesterday. But that's it.

We are wondering if he is eating the cat food we have down on the floor for our old cat. SO, dad and I cleaned off our "junk" counter and put the cat's food up there so Bentley can't get into it. I'll give it a few more days of coaxing Bentley to eat his food and then talk to the vet about what to do. But my dad isn't relying on what so called "experts" say about feeding nothing but kibble, picking up the food in 15 mins and then trying again at next scheduled feeding time, etc. He doesn't believe it works for all dogs and we do have an exception on our hands. He's never been interested in kibble, only table food... But I'll continue to work with him to eat by playing fetch with the kibble once or twice a day and offering treats if he eats kibble. That's all I can think to do. I've exhausted Google trying to find answers for this but it seems that this is not a common problem among dogs, at least the whole lack of appetite issue. Normally the issue is eating too much.

I do know that he is not an active dog at all, he's always laying on one of us all day and sleeps at night in my parents bed. So maybe he doesn't need more than 8 grams of food a day. I don't know. That is about 20 pieces of kibble I think. I'll have to measure each kibble or a few at a time to see what the grammage is.

I know there are ways to stimulate a dogs appetite but we don't like the long term damage some of them cause such as anabolic steroids can cause osteoporosis in humans, etc.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!