Thread: Kennel Cough
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 06:01 AM   #5
Wylie's Mom
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimchi and Kitt View Post
Last night Miso started coughing. It sounded more like a "honking", so I youtubed some videos and saw it was very close to dogs infected with Kennel cough viruses.

This morning I woke up and called the vet on post, and they said to treat him they would need to test him for distemper and parvo and they were out of the kits. They gave me some shady directions to an off post Korean doctor.

About an hour later I found the other vet, after driving around in a taxi. The clinic was very nice and several of the employees and vets spoke very well english. He guessed also that Miso was probably younger than 6 weeks.

Well the good news is its neither Parvo or distemper! Poor little guy received an antibiotic shot, and went into the nebulizer box. he will be on antibiotics for the next three days two times daily, and go back on thursday for another nebulizer treatment.

He is currently being held away from Kimchi, even though Kimchi is fully vaccinated, and they hate it! kimchi is sad without his playmate.

Keep little miso in your thoughts for a speedy recovery!
Oh my gosh! Less than 6 wks?! I looked at his little piccie, and I thought he looked extremely young as well. I would definitely ask the breeders here what you should do in order to keep this vulnerable little guy safe and alive in terms of nutritional needs. He needs frequent feedings - and they can recommend the best option.

Did the breeder give him a kennel cough/bordetella vaccine? Bc that vaccine can actually *cause* kennel cough - and should never, ever be given to a newborn.

I hope little Miso heals quickly. He is so darling. Another thing I'd suggest is making sure he has a stuffed 'Mama dog' for comfort and security. Since he will miss out on the socialization process given my his Mama - it would help to mimic some of those actions so that he can be secure and learn what he will miss if he was still w/ his fur Mama.

°¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨° Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie °¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨°
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!