View Single Post
Old 01-03-2006, 12:48 AM   #3
yorkiegirl2
YT 2000 Club Member

I'm so sorry to hear about the lost of your little girl..how old is the pup now?
I found this one the net about bottle feeding ..also when you feed don't feed like you would a baby ( on the back) but feed the pup natural belly down with head up..I hope it help you with the feeding and remember after feeding to help the pup pee and poo after eating.
Another reason it may be moving around too is it looking for it mom..do you had a stuff animal or a towel it can snuggle up to? This may help.
You will get other breeders help when they come online.
In the mean time I hope this helps.
Again I'm so sorry for your lost.
Feeding Orphan Puppies
Environment

Puppies need a clean, warm, draft-free nesting area. The air temperature in their immediate vicinity should be 85-90 F for the first week and about 80 F during the next 3-4 weeks. By the time the pups are 6 weeks of age, temperatures can be reduced to 70 F.

Temperatures can be maintained with heat lamps, light bulbs or heating pads covered with 3-4 layers of towels. Great care must be taken that the pups are not overheated during the first few days of life, when they are unable to move away from the heat source.

Clean newspaper is good bedding because it is easy to dispose. As the pups begin to move around, newspaper should be replaced because it is slippery. Cloth bedding offers good footing and is washable.

Feeding

Puppies may be fed by bottle or by stomach tube. Stomach tube feeding is much faster and especially handy with large litters. Many people, however, prefer to bottle feed because of prolonged puppy contact. Your veterinarian or clinic staff can instruct you in either method of feeding.

Newborn puppies should be fed 3-4 times daily by tube feeding or 5-6 times daily by bottle feeding. At 2 weeks of age, 3 tube feedings or 4 bottle feedings are usually sufficient.

Puppies must be helped to urinate and defecate by gently stroking the genital area with a tissue or cottonball moistened with warm water after each feeding. Be persistent until they urinate or defecate. Puppies over 2-3 weeks do not need this attention.

Frequent crying or failure to gain weight indicates a problem. Call your veterinarian. In general, a pup should double its weight in 8-10 days. Overfeeding can be worse than slight underfeeding.

How Much Should I Feed?

You can determine how much to feed an orphan pup by considering its daily caloric requirements. The total daily caloric requirements for pups under 4 weeks of age are:

1st week -- 3.75 calories/ounce of body weight daily
2nd week -- 4.50 calories/ounce of body weight daily
3rd week -- 5.00 calories/ounce of body weight daily
4th week -- 5.50 calories/ounce of body weight daily
In general, most substitutes contain around 1 calorie per ml.

Example

You plan to feed a 5 ounce puppy less than 1 week of age 4 times daily. The puppy requires 2.75 calories/ounce body weight - 5 ounce pup = 18.75 calories needed for one day. You are feeding 4 times a day. Therefore, 18.75/4 = 4.68 calories given at each feeding. Your milk substitute contains 1 calorie/ml. Therefore, you should feed 4.68 ml (about 5 ml) each feeding.

Solid foods should be introduced at 3 weeks of age. Pan feed a thin gruel made by blending good quality puppy food with bitch's milk formula. Gradually thicken the gruel until no milk substitute is used at about 6 weeks of age. At this time, the pups should be offered good quality puppy food 3 times daily.
yorkiegirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!