View Single Post
Old 06-17-2011, 01:36 PM   #43
kjc
I♥PeekTinkySaph&Finny
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjane View Post
I totally agree! I am so tired of the bad rap that people on this forum give to Hill's Science Diet Prescription foods. Doing that sends a message to people that they are not doing the right thing by their pups. These prescription diets can save lives...I know from experience.
My vet said she knows other foods are somewhat better quality, but if her dogs were sick, she would not hesitate to feed the appropriate Hill's Prescription Diets to them... they work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjane View Post
I have been making treats from Hills R/D because of the high caloric content in so many of the dog treats.

I make 8 slices from a can...and then cut them in 6 pie shapes.

Put them on parchment paper on a cookie sheet...bake at 350 for 37 minutes. My pups LOVE them. I wonder if you could do that with I/D? Probably!
Let me add to that statement: high protein and high fat! Exorbitant amounts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyGirl Rosie View Post
Her only symptom was her tummy making noises. Lol gurgling I guess? She will be four in July. This is the food she was on: Instinct: Chicken Meal Formula: Grain-Free Kibble for Dogs | Nature's Variety
JMHO:

Wow! Nice food... it already has probiotics in it, not to mention fruits and veggies! I do have a problem with the meat/fish meals, and for a 4 year old dog the protein and fat contents hit me as kind of high. (42% protein, 22% fat )

Mine are all approaching 4, except Peek a Boo who is way beyond 4. I try to keep the protein around 20-25%, and the fat around 15%. I find mine go off their feed quite often on higher protein foods, and as they're older, I don't believe they need all that protein... unless they're a working dog... You may want to discuss it with your vet, if you haven't already.

Last edited by kjc; 06-17-2011 at 01:37 PM.
kjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!