View Single Post
Old 06-17-2011, 08:01 AM   #7
Wylie's Mom
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woogie Man View Post
Well, I've bought mink oil as a grooming spray for my dogs, but it's been a while. I still have some of it left. I dilute it with water and conditioner.

I did think about it when I bought it, but figured it was a by-product of an existing industry (fur), so didn't think minks were being killed primarily for the oil. Sounds really dumb when I type that out. Just goes to show that we can rationalize anything.

There are good alternatives to mink oil for grooming, as I've since found out. But, just reading the wiki link about how it's widely used on leather, among other things, makes me wonder how big the business is.

Just guessing about this, but I imagine that mink oil isn't 'necessary' for any uses and other things would be used if it wasn't readily available. Hasn't the fur business in the U.S really shrunk? Do we easily get mink oil due to the fur market in other countries?

Would love to see any other data you can find about this. Thanks for bringing this up. Patronizing any cruel industry does help sustain it.
I do think the fur industry has shrunk, but that the cruelty of them hasn't. It amazes me how many celebrities *still* wear fur, when they could have a more positive influence on wearing it. I think Stella McCartney is one of few top designers who does not use fur or leather in her clothes or shoes or bags (of course, she is way out of my league); but her celebrity and relation to Paul McCartney (father) does reach others. There are tons of other less $ designers (online) who don't use animal products either.

So true about getting mink oil outside the U.S. - that is very likely too.

°¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨° Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie °¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨°
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!