View Single Post
Old 06-17-2011, 07:54 AM   #5
Woogie Man
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidget529 View Post
Just recently while reading on this site, I found out Mink Oil products really do contain rendered mink fat. I know we are great animal lovers on this site - many going to great extremes to help end cruelty to animals, including to our precious yorkies.

Should we care that mink oil in some grooming products/shampoos comes from the rendered fat from minks as the animal lovers that we are here on YT?

I was curious what everyone thought about this!

Here is a link about mink oil:
Mink oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm anxious to hear what your thoughts are!
Well, I've bought mink oil as a grooming spray for my dogs, but it's been a while. I still have some of it left. I dilute it with water and conditioner.

I did think about it when I bought it, but figured it was a by-product of an existing industry (fur), so didn't think minks were being killed primarily for the oil. Sounds really dumb when I type that out. Just goes to show that we can rationalize anything.

There are good alternatives to mink oil for grooming, as I've since found out. But, just reading the wiki link about how it's widely used on leather, among other things, makes me wonder how big the business is.

Just guessing about this, but I imagine that mink oil isn't 'necessary' for any uses and other things would be used if it wasn't readily available. Hasn't the fur business in the U.S really shrunk? Do we easily get mink oil due to the fur market in other countries?

Would love to see any other data you can find about this. Thanks for bringing this up. Patronizing any cruel industry does help sustain it.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!