View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 12:24 PM   #1
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Default Training for CDX or Open Level Competition

Well I thought I'd post here and keep and ongoing record per say, of our training progress towards CDX, or Open level. We hope to be ready to compete at our Nationals at Purina Farms at Gray Summitt Missouri held in mid September. Last summer we trained too hard and Magic's back started acting up (again) and we pulled him from the competition; this year I/we hope to be a little smarter. Currently I am figuring out how I can configure some jumps (that would be portable) that I could set in the water, so Magic can jump from water over the jump into water; retreive dumbbell and back to me again.

Today we swam first, and Magic was a very bad boy, not wanting to heel, just trying to keep on pulling towards the water. Finally I allowed him to go to water and he had a grand time of swimming in Lake Ontario. Gawd that water is very cold. Would freeze your patoosh off; but he adores it.

Next came official training at my house. I got back with a wet dog, rewrapped RAzz, had lunch, made training treats up, set out leashes and toys.
Razz was first we are working on basic obedience and focus. Well lets just say he is marginally better than last wk My homework, sit/down, focus; sit/down reward focus, repeat ad infinitum. I think my boy has ADD Of course you all know it's not his fault, but the trainer's aka Moi!

Magic once again aced (for the most part all the skills we practiced). He had a fault on retreive once, he broke before being released to fetch. Also front sit for some reason has gotten a bit wonky this week (my suspicion is hubby took him out on Sunday and did some training with him), urgha wish he would not do that as he doesn't reward correctly, doesn't correct fronts, uses different commands etc.... We have had a number of discussions about it, but what can I say he is a Man; and will do what he wants.

We are trying to perfect heel, and Magic had two crooked sits on the heel command; so some homework is to work heel by curbside to correct side sits. His focus and heel off lead was very good.

Drop on recall; needs pretty much a lot of work; as he likes to travel a bit prior to dropping. Homework is to work this on lead close in.

Signal work: This is signs only no verbals pretty good. Couple of misses on long distance down and then up to sit. Very good on front signalling, as well as heel off lead. This work is for the top obedience title of utility.

We garnered a bit of an audience. My neighbours came out to watch the training Next wk if they do, I shall ask them to examine Magic on stand for examination as he is pretty well used to Ilona doing it.

Summary my trainer Ilona was very pleased with Magic's performance, and well what can I say maybe a C- with Razz's

What can I say but training with your pups is just grand. You see some progress, you get so close with your pups, and success even those little teeney weeney successes makes you happy.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!