View Single Post
Old 04-06-2005, 06:32 PM   #6
rachelfraim
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

We have only had Kodah since last Thursday. When we picked her up & I saw how tiny she was (only one pound), I thought to myself this is going to be ridiculous trying to potty train her outside. Fortunately we have had weather in the 70's several days in a row, and I would just pick her up & say "potty outside". At first she would just sit & look at me but as I walked around she would follow & eventually go. I would immediately pick her up & praise her with kisses & say "good girl", "potty outside". I did this every hour to hour and a half. Kodah was good in that she would sleep for a couple of hours in her bed where I could see her & everytime she woke up, I would immediately take her out. She has only gotten up once each night & goes immediately back to bed after she goes outside. Today it was raining, & I took a big umbrella out & held over us - & she went each time. I am home with her all day so I am sure that makes a huge difference. I have just decided in my mind that I'm going to be totally dedicated to these next several weeks & see if we can learn this. I know she will have accidents - but I also want her to know where she is supposed to go. Now I walk to the back door & saw "potty outside" & she runs (more like bounces with her little legs) & I take her out. Only two accidents in the house since Thursday! & that's a whole lot better than I ever dreamed of for an eleven week-old puppy. CONSISTENCY is working for us.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!