View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 05:31 PM   #9
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruitt7 View Post
If she is still small when its time for me to get her, should I request that she stay longer with the mother? I'm guessing if this lady is a good breeder, she'll suggest that as well.
Some people take them home under 2 pounds, but they are experienced pet owners, and they thoroughly understand the signs of hypoglycemia and what to do about it. A dog under 4 pounds is prone to hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), and this can become life threatening, so you have to know what to look for. There are things you can use to treat hypoglycemia such as white karo syrup or Nutrical, but it should be given to treat hypoglycemia not to prevent it because too much sugar can even cause hypoglycemia. If this dog will be less than 4 pounds full grown, you should know that you’ll probably have more dental problems and other health problems, some tinies lose their adult teeth before three if not properly care for. Also tinies are more accident prone because jumping off a couch can break a leg, so more time is needed to train in the use of steps and being diligent in making them use steps and ramps to get on and off beds or furniture. Many would recommend tinies being Bile Acid Tested before going home because sometimes illnesses such as Liver Shunt will cause a dog to be ultra-small. I think you don’t get a reliable Bile Acid Test until after 12 weeks though, perhaps around 16. I would say, you might need a bigger health budget if you get a tiny, but many tinies are very healthy. Here's a link that tells more about hypoglycemia. Toy Breed Hypoglycemia

Join today and remove this ad!