View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 05:55 AM   #2
kjc
I♥PeekTinkySaph&Finny
Donating Member

If his nails are long it may take three or four clippings over a month's time to get them this short. I actually look at the nail itself and as soon as the quick recedes a bit, I trim it again. On Peek a Boo, I've been able to do it as often as every 3-4 days. Just trim back up level with the quick and wait. That way you keep ahead of the nail growth.

I'll try to get more pics, but if you just take a sliver off at a time, you'll see a dark circle in the center of the nail. You can keep taking slivers off until the dark circle (the quick) occupies a little over half of the circumference of the nail without drawing blood (in most cases).

After each cut, watch the nail for a second or two. It may bleed, but will only be a pinhole sized drop that forms in the very center of the nail. This is time to stop, and the dog may be a little uncomfortable but not shrieking in pain. Cut the next nail but leave it a tad longer, so you don't draw blood.

After each trim job, the quick may toughen up and you may be able to cut further than the previous time, just always watch for any blood once you reach the quick.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!