View Single Post
Old 06-04-2011, 10:53 AM   #1
Twinklesprinkle
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Exclamation Want Yorkie to Sleep in *MY* Bed

Yes, I DO realize this is inherently the opposite of what most desire!!*However, as a yorkie*owner for 20+ years, I've always had them sleep in bed with me & NEVER had any undesirable consequences.*

My newest lil' man, Frankie, has been trained/accustomed to sleeping in his crate (which is in my room) from day 1. He is now a little more than one year old & I'd like for him to sleep with me.*

Before Frankie, it had been about 8 yrs since last getting & training a puppy so I cannot remember how we transitioned our other dogs from sleeping in the crate to on the bed. **

Anyway, I decided to give it a shot last night. OH BOY!!!!!
Frankie was super excited and wanted to crawl all over or jump on my head & give kisses. Super cute but it was supposed to be night-night time! Lol. So I created a makeshift "pillow fence" near me so it forced him to stay within a smaller, enclosed area on the bed. He eventually settled down & after some petting & scratching, he fell asleep. Five minutes later, he's back to jumping around, giving kisses & trying to wiggle through the pillow fence. Once again, *he did relax and fell asleep but only for a few minutes. Then, I repeated the above but to no avail. I finally acquiesced and put him back in his crate where he fell (& STAYED) *asleep all night.*

So, can anyone recommend some tips to essentially "train" Frankie to sleep in my bed? I have read about using toys and treats but I don't want him to equate being in the bed with playtime (which is when he gets those things). He's seriously got more energy than a busload of Kindergarteners & the ONLY time he honestly relaxes/sleeps is while in his crate.*

Any advice would be IMMENSELY appreciated!!! ;-)
Twinklesprinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!