View Single Post
Old 05-31-2011, 11:16 PM   #3
yorkiesincommon
YT Addict

Ip Some Questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelandSadie View Post
I gave Bentley a treat which he never just chomps and eats like he should but hoards in his mouth and goes to a corner to avoid food aggressive Sadie. Well I didn't move her to another room and I was holding him drying him off and I kept telling her to leave it. He walked out of my hands and tripped over their bell by the door and startled himself which caused her to attack him in his weak moment for the treat and she latched onto his face/neck really hard and it was a blur of fur with her growling and biting him and him squealing in pain. I tried to pull him away and push her off and she bit my hand pretty hard. It broke skin but didn't bleed but it's starting to form welts on my hand.

I am so upset I don't know what to do. I can't have her do something like that when I have a baby in the house that she's jealous of or wants something from. She is so mean to Bentley at times and then cuddles him other times. I never really know what she'll do next.

Anyone have any advice to set my mind at ease. I don't want a baby/toddler getting bit like I just did over Sadie's crazy behaviors. So sad that she's turning into such an awful dog and I don't want to loose her either.
Is Sadie in heat or near that time? Sometimes a female will not be herself if she is coming into heat. I have an aggressive female who is almost 9 years old and she was not like that before the age of 4 but at that point I rescued 2 other females and she began the same type of behavior you are describing. She can be horrible and has bitten me badly and attack the others on occasion. Some dogs are a 1 dog home unless you have very good training skills. There are training procedures that can extinguish the behavior but I have only been able to significantly reduce the number of incidents. Each aggressive dog is different with some common threads. If you have small children in your home and she acts snappy or in any way aggressive to them, you need to get to the vet immediately and rule out health issues and address what the cause is and what can be done. I feel for you because I know how much you can love that baby and hate to see her turn like this. What I have found is that there are trigger situations, going out the door, eating, my attention or even sitting close to me. If your situation is similar try going to your public library and see if you can find some good books on training that covers aggressive behaviors. Make sure you soak that hand in some Dawn soap with warm water for 30 minutes and get to the doctor in the morning. Take care of yourself, bites can be really bad. I wish you good luck in working out this complex situation and I am so sorry it has presented itself. I know how horrible I feel about my sweet little Lacy turning into a little monster and know you must suffer some of the same feelings. Take care. Mary
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!