View Single Post
Old 01-01-2006, 01:08 PM   #2
Yorkie Mum
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchu
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Zoe is a 2 1/2 month old baby boy. He does not come to anybody when called. When anybody tries to pick him up, his initial reaction is to run away or step back even from ME! At first I thought he just wasn't used to me but he def knows that I'm his mommy and my bf his daddy but will not voluntarily come to us or let us pick him up. Is this weird?

Also, his nose and paws are always cold even when its really warm, should I be worried?

Please let me know what you think. I would greatly aprreciate it.

Thank you and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
First of all when you reach for the pup do you bend down or squat.
Bending and reaching over a dog's head to pick it up is considered rude in the dogs eyes.
Try getting on the floor or lower to a squat. Call or reach for the pup under the belly not over the head.
As for coming when called. first never call a pup to scold or disciplines or do anything they do not like to them.
Why come if bad things happen.
Only call for good fun stuff, if it is not good, go and get .
Then I try him on a long line and attach it to a harness so he can not go far, and call his name if he looks at you toss a treat.
Next time call again and hope he steps to you a step and toss a treat.
At some point he will come over and want the treat out of your hand Bonus treats many many. Then start again at some point it will click I get a treat and loving if I come.
The other way is to get people on the floor in a circle and call pup from one to another hand out treats as he gets to the one that called.
It teaches the name and also can work for come.
Then take it on the road as dogs do not generalize so teach come outside in a safe yard or on a long line. Move it out to the street and from room to room in the house.

Joy
Yorkie Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!