View Single Post
Old 05-27-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
Anna Banana
YT 3000 Club Member

Sad Elevated Liver Enzymes

Hello YT family!

I haven't posted much in several months, but I have a situation that I know some of you experts can advise me on...

On Monday at Wobie's check-up, I had the vet do pre-op bloodwork for the dental cleaning scheduled for next week. The vet called yesterday to inform me that the tests indicated elevated ALT liver enzymes. He wants to hold off on Wobie's dental and find out what is going on with his liver. He is suggesting a bile acids test, urinalysis, and liver x-ray. I will be going in on Tuesday to get these done (darn the long weekend!) If these diagnostics suggest liver problems, he wants to start Wobie on Zentonil.

I wish I could trust my vet wholeheartedly, but I don't. My family have been loyal and very happy patients of this vet practice for over 40 years. However, a new veterinarian took over several years ago and I'm not a big fan of him...

So I have a few questions that I'm wondering about before going in on Tuesday:
Does it sound like the vet is taking an appropriate approach to this situation? I've heard of ultrasounds to diagnose liver problems, but not x-rays. And I had never heard of Zentonil before, is this a newer or less common medication? Is there any way that these elevated levels could be related to his fairly high-protien diet (he eats Acana, Go!, and Primal frozen raw)? And does anyone have experience with Trupanion (insurance) and liver problems? This is the first time I will be filing a claim.

I will of course ask the vet these questions as well, but I would really love input from you guys beforehand...and any related advice would be wonderful as well! I'm trying to stay as positive as possible. It helps to research, research, research and ask, ask, ask instead of dwell on the results of the tests that haven't happened yet...I know this is very likely to be a serious issue...

Thank you soooo much for your input!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!