Thread: Food Question
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2011, 04:59 PM   #11
ASTPhi877
Senior Yorkie Talker

I feed twice a day as well. Once at around 4:10 in the morning when I get up with the BF (we actually get up at 3:50, but I get to go back to bed with the girls around 5am, so it's not TOO big a deal!) and then again around 4 in the afternoon. So they go about 12 hrs in between meals and are perfectly fine.

But I have to agree with the others when they say that if your baby is overweight then you need to cut back. It is so incredibly dangerous for any dog to be overweight... But especially a Yorkie. Extra weight on a dog can cause joint problems, kidney problems, diabetes, breathing difficulties, heart issues, increased likelihood of a stroke, increased likelihood of certain types of cancer... The list goes on and on. And while you may not think a LITTLE extra weight is a big deal, what may seem to you to be a little extra weight is probably a lot when you consider how small a Yorkie really is. Think about it: if a yorkie SHOULD weight 5lbs, but weighs 6 instead, that is the equivalent of a 125lb person weighing 150. So that one pound on them is like 25 extra pounds on us. When you look at it like that, you start to realize that even a few extra ounces on a yorkie are a huge health risk.

One of the most dangerous health issues facing dogs today is also the most easily preventable. If your puppy is overweight, PLEASE address this asap... Because if you don't, you'll almost certainly have to deal with the consequences sooner rather than later.
*steps down from soapbox*

Good luck with your baby!
ASTPhi877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!