View Single Post
Old 05-25-2011, 06:49 AM   #14
Bentleys Momma
YT 500 Club Member

Rabies freaks me out! You may think the threat doesn't concern you because your pet doesn't go outside alone or whatever the reason. However even if your dog NEVER steps foot outside there is always a freakish possibility of them coming into contact.

Five years ago, I was sitting in my office of a well maintained office building in the middle of the afternoon when a bat exited the ventilation duct and came down and got me in the back of the head. Unfortunately, they were unable to capture the bat and I was personally stuck with having to go through the series of rabies shots. I am so relieved that they no longer give the shots in the stomach but the shot is supposed to be administered near the bite. Since it was the back of my head they couldn't obviously do that. The first day, it was multiple injections and then every week for like 6 weeks. The shots made me ill about 24-48 hours after I received the injection so I went every Friday afternoon and suffered every Sunday for weeks.

Even after going through that, after a human has went through the series, if they come into contact with rabies again, they still have to get more shots. Just not as many. Rabies is not something I play around with because I am the least likely person to ever come in contact with a wild animal!!!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!