View Single Post
Old 05-24-2011, 07:50 AM   #1
addevo
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Default What is your opinion about Sport Dog 400 E-collar?

We have recently adopted a 2 year old male Yorkie. He was trained a bit by his original owners (sit for treat, stay) but I'd like to get him his CGC so he could do pet therapy. There is a trainer in the Washington DC area who specializes in off leash training. I was looking at their web site, and the price for the first session includes a Sport Dog 400 E collar. Their web site's FAQ section describes it this way:

An “e-collar” is basically a collar with a stimulation mechanism (similar to an electric fence collar) ... In the proven training method we teach, your dog is never "shocked into submission" or abused. Unlike a shocking device, the e-collar is used to get the dog's attention and keep it focused on listening to the handler. It is the equivalents of someone tapping your shoulder to get your attention, or setting your phone on vibrate so it will get your attention when someone is calling you. We teach the dog to listen to those "taps" and that the "taps" mean, "I am trying to get your attention.”

My first instinct is that it is too harsh of a method to use on a Yorkie, but the trainer is highly rated so I thought I'd check with YT.

Do you have any experience with training your dog using any type of an E collar? If so, would you recommend it, or should I look for a trainer who doesn't use one?
addevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!