View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011, 08:37 AM   #2
AlicetheYorkie
YT 500 Club Member

Well, you definatly don't need to worry about it attacking you not unless you corner and really freak it out where it has no place to go anyway. If a person were to try to pick one up or something you're gonna get bit, but it's not going to "attack" anyone, and as far as I know, that includes your dog. Now, I wouldn't want one of dogs being able to chase and try to catch one becuase if they did they could certainly get hurt, but that's the only way. Opossums aren't agressive creatures by nature unless they feel a need to defend them selves, most likely they'd just run away though.
I'd say you're fine, but if I kept seeing it during the day and it acted weird or agressive without being provoced, I'd call animal controle. If it was at night and he was just mosying around or ran away when you can outside, it's fine, let it go. We have alot of them here but I've only ever seen them at night. My only concern with one being in my yard would be if it pooped there and the dog ate the poop - internal parasites would be a concern.
lol, I actually just found this on a 'Possum web site:

Question: If opossums are nocturnal then why do I see one in the day?
There are a number of reasons for opossum sightings during the day. If it is winter in an extremely cold area, usually covered with snow, then the opossum may be hungry. It is often difficult for an opossum to find food in extremely cold, snowy areas. During sever weather the opossum may stay in a den a few days until hunger drives it out of hiding. The opossum may have to forage for food during the day, often while it is warmer. During the spring or summer months a female opossum laden with young must spend more time foraging for food and may be seen during the day. Also, an opossum’s daytime hiding area may be disturbed, often by the presence of a dog or children throwing a ball into a bush. The frightened animal will run out and search for a new hiding place. Other possibilities include a blind opossum or a sick or injured opossum. If you suspect the opossum is not healthy then contact a local wildlife rehabilitator.

Last edited by AlicetheYorkie; 05-20-2011 at 08:38 AM.
AlicetheYorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!