Thread: Help! Iams?
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011, 06:18 AM   #9
AlicetheYorkie
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrilynncs View Post
Is there anyway you could just start to feed the big dogs on a schedule too? and as someone already pointed out.... there really isn't a huge price difference between Iams and Solid Gold, if you could give meals out instead of just a big bowl of food, I bet the SG would end up cheaper and the dogs would look so much better! I work at a doggie daycare/boarding and it's amazing to me how people will not only spend a ton of $$ purchasing a dog, spend $$ for it to go to daily day care but then turn around and feed the dog the worst food on the market! Good luck with everything..... I hope things get better.
Maybe you can convince your family that it would save them money using a better food but using a schedual and the dogs would need less of that food than they do on the Purina (as long as they weren't free fed anymore, this is true if you work out the numbers for cost per day, especially if it's a more overpriced crappy brand like purina or iams). Sometimes people don't realize that and the cost factor might be enough to change their minds. I know people can be very stuborn with things like this, but would they reconsider if you offered to be the one in charge of feeding all the dogs, including theirs? Maybe if they agreed to that, they'd see the difference in their dogs' within the few months you're there and be convinvced in the long run (killing two birds with on stone)
As Ellie Mae said, I wouldn't stress too bad about your Yorkie eating the Iams or Purina for a while, the hard part might be getting back to something holistic (those other food have additives to make it palatable and that can almost literaly be addicting to the dog taste wise - which is probably why she won't eat the regular food for you) BUT, since your Doxi has gained alot of weight, that would honestly concern me more than anything else.
If I absolutely had no choice but to choose between Iams and Purina, I'd choose Iams, but only by a very small margin. If you get into using Science Diet - that's honestly going to cost the same as something holistic, so I wouldn't even bother there. I've used (until just recently) a holistic brand called Verus that tends to run a little less than some other high quality brands. It's not super easy to find though.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!