Thread: Leash Training
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011, 05:30 AM   #2
AlicetheYorkie
YT 500 Club Member

I just keep walking lol. If I'm walking my dogs and one of them tries to stop and sniff something (I have a Beagle too, so this happens frequently), I just don't let them - just keep your head up, eyes forward and keep walking. Obviously he'll have no choice but to keep moving. If one of them walks too far out in front of me or tries to pull off to the side to check something out - a little tug on the leash gets them back on track. You're using a harness to walk him right, not a collar? If he's on a harness, a little pull or gentle tug won't hurt him.
As far as the bicycles, ya, Alice would be freaked out too, I just do the same thing tough - keep walking, pay no attention at all to his responce - JUST WALK lol. If he's really bad with the bikes, you can also work on desensatizing him to them. If you have one or know someone who does, spend some time letting him sniff and check it out while the bike is staying still *this step is really important to do first - let him go to the bike, don't make it come at him*, then practice walking past it - no stopping, just keep walking like it's not even there. Once he's good with that, work on getting him used to a moving one by putting him in a "sit" and have someone walk the bike past him - not riding it yet. Then work up to someone riding it past him - he has to stay in a "sit" though - * always reward when he stays calm. Last step is walking him while the bike's being ridden past - same thing, just walk like it's not there and reward when he ignores it

Last edited by AlicetheYorkie; 05-20-2011 at 05:32 AM.
AlicetheYorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!