View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011, 02:03 AM   #1
Princess10
Banning Queen

Question Free Feeding/Weight Gain Questions

Last night I really noticed Princess has put on some weight. I'm going to pop into the vet today & check to see where she's at, I'm guessing close to 8lbs. She held steady at 6.9lbs. for months, then lost weight post spay, to where I could easily feel her spine, just too small for her, now she seems to have gone in reverse.

I did switch her to TOTW & Acana mixed & usually put down about 3/4c. to 1c. a day. Sometimes it will sit the whole day with only a few bites gone & I have to toss it the next day. But there are other days that she eats it fairly early in the day & then I worry about leaving her without food all evening & night so I give her a refill. She has also been getting cottage cheese with one meal once or twice a week. It's low-fat from 1% milk, so hopefully not too unhealthy for her.

I've tried mixing in green beans & sliced carrots only to find every single one flung onto the floor. She doesn't seem to like any fruits or veggies that I can even think of off hand that I could try to fill her up on.

My question is, would you restrict her food? On the days she finishes it early is that just it then? I have a medical condition that sometimes makes it difficult for me to get out of bed at the same time everyday so I really don't want to schedule feed her if there's another solution. Also, she gets lots of indoor exercise, but not much outdoors this season as it's been raining so much. With all of the running indoors I'm sure it's equal to many walks in a day!

Thanks & sorry for the novel!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!