View Single Post
Old 05-19-2011, 08:18 AM   #1
dryoasis88
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Anaphylactic Shock

*Hepburn is currently fine, home, alert etc. Just wanted to share his terrible day*

As if it wasn't enough that 4 weeks ago, Hepburn was bitten very badly by another dog (http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/sic...ked-today.html), today we went to the vet for his regular vaccinations and shortly after receiving them he went into full blown anaphylactic shock! It was way scarier than the dog bite. He stumbled, then fell on the floor, and stopped breathing. I picked him up and he almost flopped out of my arms. He then peed himself and pooped himself as I rushed him back into the room where the vet was (I was thank god still in the office waiting to pay my bill or else I am not sure he would still be with me). The vet immediately took him away from me and gave him oxygen and a cortisone shot to stop the reaction. He was in shock for about an hour and now he is home and drinking a lot of water.

I wanted to tell his story because I know if I hadn't stayed in the office to wait for my bill and I was on my home on my bike, he wouldn't have made it. Please please stay in your vet's office for at least 15-30 minutes after receiving vaccines. It could save your dog's life. The vet told me it is not entirely unusual to develop an allergy to a vaccine even after receiving it a few times (which was the case for Hepburn).

I hope this helps someone out.
dryoasis88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!