View Single Post
Old 05-17-2011, 05:00 PM   #1
Darlin Beauxs
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Darcy having problems with seizure meds

Darcy is about 13-15 from our vet's best estimate. She had been with us for three years. As soon as we got her, I noticed she was panting heavily and her belly seemed swollen, so I took her to the vet, where she was diagnosed with congestive heart failure. He prescribed Lasik 2x per day. About 3-4 days after that, she got over excited when a large dog was in front of our home, and she chased him. When she was running back to me, she fell over on her side, went stiff, and lost control of her bladder. I rushed her to the ER vet, who told me to follow up with my regular vet that Monday.

This vet (who I no longer use), said that she was having seizures due to her heart not working properly, and we needed to avoid situations where she would get too worked up. Basically, he said there was nothing he could do to help her. She would have seizures over things like the doorbell ringing, my husband and I coming home, or just for no apparent reason.

I changed vets, and the new one felt that she was not having seizures but "fainting episodes" due to her collapsing trachea. So he put her on prednisone for that, and doubled her lasik. He also put her on Vasotec for her heart. We noticed some improvement.

However, the past weekend has been very rough. She started having seizures about every 6 hours or so. We took her back to the same vet clinic, where a different vet looked at her. She ran blood tests and said her liver and kidneys are functioning normally, so she feels she has epilepsy. She prescribed 1/4 g of phenobarbitol 2x per day. Darcy is on her third dose, but this is horrible. She is walking sideways and wobbly, she is so unsteady on her feet, her eyes are glazed over. This is as hard to watch as the seizures.

Does anyone know of any alternate meds or treatments for this?

Thanks so much for reading
Amy
Darlin Beauxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!