Thread: At ropes end...
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2011, 03:56 PM   #12
deonk1
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash0248 View Post
How would I go about training him to just use the potty box only? maybe instead of taking him out when I am home take him to his room and tell him to potty? That way he would learn to go to the box all the time. I dont know why but he will use it if he is in his room but if he is left out he will not go back to it. Please tell me why...
By the way his box is a litter box with newspaper in it. It seems to keep the smell down better and is alot cheaper. He likes it better also.
When I was training Harley, his grid was in his room too, he'd forget about it, so I just put another one in the livingroom, eventually he stopped using the second one and I put it back in his room. now he zooms off to his room and then goes and zooms back. Also it's ok to let them go outside to potty, it's just a matter of teaching them that when they can't go outside they go on the tray/grid/litterbox. Harley is now one of those dogs who will hold his pee until he gets in his room and go on the tray. He'll poo outside, but the grass just isn't his pee toilet lol.

I would try to consistently be watching him on his grid and throw a praise party when he goes there (the grid is the same as your litter box, just has a rubber grid on top, I use papers too). Also to make sure he knows what the second box is, I would put the old one in the new spot and put the new one in the old spot, that way he knows the scent of a "potty" when he sees the new spot and goes there.

Praise is the only real way you'll get him hooked on the indoor training, so someone will have to be consistent with him, maybe your grandmother can watch him and give him lots of treats when he goes on the right spot, that way she gets to have him out, not feel bad, and spoil him plus you get a good trained dog.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!