View Single Post
Old 05-16-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
Taryn0405
Owned by a Gremlin
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deonk1 View Post
Well it all depends on who you ask...

some breeders believe that the tinier the dog the more valuable it is. These are usually scary people who want to make a buck off trying to sell "teacups" BUT seeing I don't know the sizes of the tiny and huge dogs you're referring to, I'm not going to point fingers, I'm just going to answer with what info I know. In my mind there are two reasons for the tiny dogs you saw being more expensive - 1) the above scenario, or 2) maybe yours was actually bigger than average and the tiny ones were actually breed standard (4-7ish lbs I believe, but don't quote me on that) and thus those dogs would be prospects for breeding/shows. I can't think of any other reason the small ones would be more expensive, unless they just happened to have champion parents or as you said they were older, they may be trained/housebroke.

They come in all shapes and sizes for the same reasons people do. The smaller or larger the mother and father combined the larger or smaller the puppy. The Yorkie breed itself does not have any different levels of sizes unlike say the poodle, it's just luck of the draw. Also if there is just one pup in the litter who gets to drink all of momma's milk, well that baby may be healthier and bigger.

My boy is barely 4lbs, but I'm pretty sure there are yorkies on here (who are indeed purebred) that are 20lbs.

Hope this helps to explain some of your confusion.

Yup, basically the AKC Yorkie "standard I believe is 3-7 and that's for showing purposes.
It all depends on your and the breeders preference. I personally don't like the smaller Yorkies because I think going below the standard can mean potential health problems, and like deonk said, alot of people are trying to dummy down the breed simply to make the dog into an accessory.

Always check into your breeder and make sure he or she is reputable. And see her preferences. Example, I have a Cairn and I got her from a breeder who preferred the European standard for Cairn's which is a bigger Cairn, as opposed to the American standard which is shorter to the ground and not as broad.

Last edited by Taryn0405; 05-16-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Taryn0405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!