View Single Post
Old 05-14-2011, 06:46 PM   #7
enchilila
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkieMom55 View Post
Hi there, I have been grooming my yorkies since 2000. My groomer mentored me when we got our 3rd and said it was time for me to learn to do it myself. I am not familiar with PPE but checked them out for you. I picked one Andis model (the pink one). Their retail price is $129.99 and the sale price is $75.60. I checked Amazon.com for you and the same model (pink Andis single-speed 12 pc) is $55.22 with Free Supersaver Shipping.

I have an Andis trimmer, an Oster and a Wahl full size, single speed. The Oster and Wahl are 11 & 8 yrs old and I'm replacing both of them this summer. I will probably shop through Amazon if I can't find one locally. The Wahl came from WalMart and I kept that one in my "to go" bag, to groom small dogs at our local animal shelter. It has cut alot of hair in 8 yrs.

It would be a good idea to get several pair of scissors for grooming. A good pair for blending, round curved tips for feet and face, round straight tips & thinning/texturizing blades work well for small matts & "pin" knots. A comb with swivel teeth works well also.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for doing a little leg-work for me. I have no idea which trimmer would be best. I probably couldn't go wrong with any of them. Might just run to Walmart and get the Wahl. I'll have to think fast as it is almost 10 p.m. here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsnaround View Post
I use a wahl that I got at walmart and it was not very much at all. I do my three yorkies myself and they have worked well. I did purchase a very nice pair of scissors from a groomer in town that have a blunt end to do around the eyes and ears. Be sure to take before and after pictures to share with us Good luck
Did the Walmart Wahl have a few attachments with it? I have some blunt end scissors already. I'm having a hard time with cutting around her eyes. Not that I can't do it. The problem is I hate to cut any hair off. She has these strays in the corners that really need to go, though. My vet told me to always keep her hair out of her eyes because it can cause cataracts down the road.

"Betty Boop"
The light of my life & the joy of my living!
enchilila is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!