Thread: Tramadol
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
SportyBaby
Yorkie Yakker

Angry Tramadol

I was given liquid tramadol for Sport after the surgery he had this week to remove gravel (that he gobbled for some reason) from his tummy. I have tried everything to get this medicine into him and it is completely impossible. I just wanted to help spread the word to other YTers not to accept this medication from their vets, it is as good as leaving without a prescription.

I searched the forum for the word "tramadol" and found another thread where several YTers confirmed that there is no meat, cheese, NutriCal or other trick to get the little ones to take this particular medicine. I came home with one compound that was supposedly chicken flavor and then had my vet prescribe another compound that was supposedly beef flavor. That turned out to be 47 extra dollars down the drain because no matter what flavor they put into it, it just doesn't work. Sport can smell the tiniest drop of it on even his favorite foods like parmesan cheese. It is scary, he shakes his head violently and foams at the mouth in order to spit it out. I have never seen him do anything like that before with any other meds. Last night I went drop by drop trying to get .05 ml into him by dipping tiny pieces of cooked steak in the medicine. He would mostly reject the pieces that had medicine on them but after a half hour or so he had at least licked most of the pieces so I hoped I had successfully gotten a little pain relief for him.

He can't have an anti-inflammatory because that is contraindicated after GI surgery. That's why they are giving me this tramadol but I will never ever accept it for him again.

I also don't know how to tell if Sport is in pain , because dogs are so stoic. We are now three days out from the surgery and he does seem to be recovering nicely and returning to his normal self, becoming playful again, jumping around on the couch a little (of course I try to stop him from doing this!). He is still sleeping more than usual, but I am happy about that because I think his body needs it right now. We had two short walks today, his first since surgery, and he pooped both times. The first few poops were about 95% gravel and dirt so I think he has passed the last of the gravel that had moved into his colon. So overall he seems to be doing well, but I am still concerned that he is just hiding the pain he feels.
SportyBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!