View Single Post
Old 12-31-2005, 04:15 AM   #1
Jaspermom
Yorkies Rock My World!

Teeth Official Weight Loss Club Thread

Hey, all!! I have been communicating with quite a few of you about the fact that I lost 30 pounds, and would love to help anyone else do the same. I thought that it would be great if the YT people that decided losing weight was a New Years Resolution had their very own thread to go and share their successes, ask questions, and support each other, much as we do with our pups!

What I am talking about, though, is a life change in your diet. This is not something that you can do and then go off it. It is a lifelong committment to eating well. Here's my story:

In 2003 my hubby discovered he had coronary artery disease, had to have a emergency stent, and the doc told us he was about 20 minutes from a killer heart attack before coming to the hospital. Geez. One of the recommendations for his recovery was diet changes. Go as low fat/fat free as possible.

So we learned to read lables on EVERYTHING, and we get as low saturated fat and no transfats as we can get. We eat a lot of chicken, fish, lean pork, and no beef. We eat soy products, veggie burgers, sausage, etc. And LOADS of veggies and fruit. Diet drinks and water only. We actually eat like PIGGIES, but between the two of us we have lost 60 pounds! I went from a size 14 to a SIX at 50 years old! And it doesn't feel like a diet anymore, it's a life change/choice. I am loving it as it is now effortless. And girl, I am HOT, lolol. At this matronly age, I was sure I would be PLUMP (150) forever! No more! 117-120 max is where I have been for the past year and a half, and I am LOVING it!!

The book that Dave got from his surgeon is what got us started. It's called "The Other Diabetes; Eating Well and Living With Type 2 Diabetes" by Elizabeth Hiser. It's not just for diabetics, which we aren't, but it gives you a lot of info about eating well and keeping healthy.

You can take any recipe and convert it to low fat. Stay completely away from deep fat fried foods. You can fry anything in your oven by spraying it with non-fat cooking spray, and baking or broiling. If you bake, use applesauce in place of the fats. Get egg beaters instead of eggs, Smart Beat buttery spread, fat free cottage cheese, fat free sour cream, low fat frozen yogurt, etc., you get the picture. Try to keep your food as low sodium as you can, too.

I use two great cookbooks: The Everything Low Fat/High Flavor cookbook by Lisa Shaw, and the American Heart Association Cookbook. Interestingly, I still have to convert some of the Heart Assoc. recipes because they still use some items I don't.

Listen, I would LOVE for you to try doing this, and so would your doctor! It's not a QUICK loss program, though. It took my body about a year to realize that if it wanted fat it had to use the stored fat it had, and then the weight just fell off me. I eat soooo much, but still maintain less than 120 pounds on me. It's just that I eat the right kind of food!

OK, off my soapbox now. But you would be surprised how changing your eating habits makes you FEEL, too. It's not just weight loss, it's the energy level. It's amazing.

GOOD LUCK!! If you decide to try this, I will give you 100% moral support and any advice you want. Ask me anything! And of course anyone else who wants to contribute input and support is welcome!

Keep in touch right here on our very own thread,and let me know how you do!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!