View Single Post
Old 12-31-2005, 02:09 AM   #13
SnowWa
YT 2000 Club Member

I got my little guy (who had already been taken from his mother) at a little less than 8 weeks.

He had several things in his favor.

1) He was a large pup and had a wonderful appetite. I started him on dry dog food mixed with canned dog food. He also got Gerber's Chicken Stix a couple times a day --- and had cottage cheese before he went to bed for the night. Apparently, this has some staying power and helps a little pup sleep longer and not get hungry.

2) I stayed home from work the first week I had him, and except for when he slept, I carried him or had him with me constantly.

3) I let him sleep with me from the get-go......so, he was never alone and he slept through the night from the first night I had him (at least 6 to 7 hours). He was feed immediately when he woke up. Got to keep that food going.

4) The second week I had him - he spent the days (while I worked) at my sister's house.

5) Currently, I work four 5-hour days, and I have two neighbors who pop in and visit with him for a while most days. I also have another dog that has become his best friend - so he's not alone.

My little pup is extremely healthy and has had no problems.

--------

I am lucky in that I had a good sized little pup with a good appetite. I'm sure this made all the difference in the world.

I definitely think that a small puppy without the appetite and ability to eat that my dog had would be a very different situation. I watched my little guy like a hawk and was with him 24 hours a day for the first week. He did just fine - but I was still very concerned. I definitely know it is best for these little guys to stay with their mothers for at least 10 to 12 weeks.

It is so true that a lot of them do not survive in spite of our best care just because they were taken from their mothers too soon.

If taking your pup so young is your choice -- please don't. Wait a few more weeks so that he will get a better healthier start.

Good Luck.

Carol Jean
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!