View Single Post
Old 05-12-2011, 06:22 AM   #5
kjc
I♥PeekTinkySaph&Finny
Donating Member

First I would have his stool checked... collect 3 samples, one each day for 3 days (refrigerate in a plastic bag between days)(can keep them in the same bag) then mix them together and submit it to your vet as one sample to check for parasites, microbes and bacteria. (do a float, a direct, and send some to the lab for analysis)

Then I would ask the vet for some probiotics with digestive enzymes to put on the pup's food. I would feed him homecooked chicken and rice (1:1) with a teaspoon (15 mL) of plain canned pumpkin (not the pumpkin pie mix) 4 times a day for 1 week. (if he doesn't like the pumpkin, you can give apple instead, no skin or seeds, just the meat) This will stop most diarrhea overnight.

By then, the stool check results will be in, and he'll be on medication if anything was found. If nothing was found...

Feed homecooked chicken and rice with no pumpkin for 2-3 days, with the probiotics and digestive enzymes. On the 4th day start adding in a quality puppy food kibble with chicken as a main ingredient.

If the diarrhea starts (assuming it has stopped), stop the puppy food, do the chicken, rice and pumpkin or apple till it stops, then add some beef based puppy food. If the diarrhea starts again...

Check the ingredients for any meat meals. If these are in the puppy food, find puppy food that has chicken meat (not meal) as a main ingredient. If Diarrhea starts, switch to beef meat based food, not meal.

If he's still having problems... PM me...
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!