View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 06:52 PM   #51
JESSY_RN2B
Owned by 3 furballs
Donating Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwarder View Post
Just a few things to consider. I am not a breeder and am pretty new to Yorkie Talk. I was (and may still be) one of those 'normal' folks who wouldn't dream of paying $1,500. for a dog. I always thought it was pretentious, a status 'designer dog' thing, and completely unnecessary. I have never purchased a dog - they have all been adopted, rescues or strays, and have always been very good, and generally healthy dogs. However - when one gets sick, it is very, very expensive. When I was a teenager, our poodle had to be put to sleep because of what appeared to be a minor skin condition (itching, scratching all the time). Penny could have been treated - for several thousand dollars and my family could not pay. The vet recommended he be put to sleep. You may be thinking that the $6,000. - $20,000. in vet expenses are over the top, not going to happen to you, and you may be right - but. Before we rescued our little yorkie poo Sugar Bear, I wanted a yorkie. We looked at a couple that were going for $800. My husband said 'there's no way we are paying $800. for a dog!' The BYBs were nice people ~ they seemed to be kind, appeared to really care about their animals, and the dogs were not kept like a puppy mill - not caged away or in filth like a pet shop dog. But they, like me, were ignorant. They had a nice dog or two, realized that they could breed them, buy some puppy feed and provide a nice bed, and people would pay them hundreds of dollars for each pup. Not a bad deal for very little work. I do believe the two I talked to were dog lovers who just wanted to make some money: not in a take-advantage-of-people-hurt-innocent-puppies kind of way, but that is what they were doing, consciously or unconsciously.

They don't do genetic testing on the dogs - they don't provide written health guarantees that mom & dad & pups are free of genetic defects that can be identified (with very expensive testing). They don't insist on spaying female pups that should not be bred, they don't provide vaccinations, spaying, continued advice and care.

I've come to believe that the good breeders are looking out for the welfare of the dogs (and their new owners). They are sort of a different breed (sorry, bad pun) altogether. I no longer think that a well-bred (tested, guaranteed) dog is pretentious or foolish -- I think it is to keep the dogs healthy and strong, and in the long run, that will SAVE you money. I've had this discussion with my daughter who wants to buy a puppy. She (nor I) can afford to pay $1,500. right now (in part because of expenses I've incurred with our bargain dog), but I have explained to her that she really, really, cannot afford the problems (medical and behavioral, including a pup who is significantly more difficult to socialize, train, and keep from acting out) of a cheap or free pup.

I love our little Sugar Bear, but we have spent well over the $1,500. breeder price in the past couple of months for some basic care problems that would not have been an issue had we 'bought the breeder' as they say here. She was FREE (a rescue) but sometimes the free and less expensive dogs will cost you the most. Don't be put off by those who say, 'well, if you can't afford it, you shouldn't get a dog' -- read all of the responses the good folks here have posted and understand the overall spirit and wisdom of their advice.

A comedy show once had a episode where the husband wanted to save a buck and hooked his wife up with a discount Lasik surgeon ("second eye free!"). You can guess how that turned out. That's our code word now for when a bargain really isn't a bargain. You really may get what you pay for - unless you are paying $400-$800 for a byb yorkie, and then you are probably getting 'the second eye free' which may prove to be anything but.
Thank you for sharing!

Join today and remove this ad!